inner page header image

Chicago, Illinois International Family Visa Lawyers

Chicago, Illinois, International Family Visa Lawyer

Relatives of U.S. Citizens in Aurora, Waukegan, and Little Village

If you are a legal resident or citizen of the United States, your main concern may be bringing children, your spouse or other immediate relatives to the United States legally. As long as you meet certain requirements, you can petition for family members and relatives to immigrate to the Unites States, and our firm is ready to help.

We Handle Complex Visa Problems

Despite a complex set of laws in place that seem designed to make immigration difficult for immediate relatives, there is actually some good news for family members who fall into specific preference categories. Immediate relatives such as husbands, wives and unmarried children under age 21 will not have to wait for an immigrant visa number. If you would like to bring your spouse, children or other relative to the United States, we can explain the requirements and help you through the family immigration process. If you want to bring your fiancé to the United States, we can help you obtain a fiancé K-1 visa and adjust your new spouse's status to lawful permanent residency following the wedding.

Receive a Consultation about Your Form I-130 Immediate Relative Visa Case

The process for obtaining a visa for an immediate family member begins with the form I-130. To secure a visa for an immediate relative, you will need to prove that a family relationship exists. To "sponsor" an immediate relative for a legal visa to the U.S., you must also be able to prove that you can support the person financially, with earnings more than 125 percent above the poverty line. If the beneficiary has unlawful presence of more than 180 days in the U.S., however, they may face a three-year bar from entering legally to the U.S. If the beneficiary has been present in the U.S. illegally for more than one year, they face a 10-year bar. If, however, any family member filed a valid I-130 on or before April 30, 2001, by paying a $1,000 fine, the beneficiary can generally avoid the prohibitions. In addition, if your immediate relative arrives in the U.S. legally and stays, the bar may be removed by applying for adjustment of status.


View the current Visa Bulletin from the U.S. State Department to determine the wait time between filing the I-130 petition and filing for residency. The date corresponding to your country and preference level must be on or before the date which your I-130 was filed in order for you to be able to file for residency today.

We are international attorneys with a focus on immigration law. Let us help you bring your family together. Contact us or call (773) 847-8982 to discuss your immediate relative visa needs. The process starts here.

Se habla Español - We accept all major credit cards.

CTA Free Consultation

Practice Areas