inner page header image

Green card lawyer Chicago, Green card Attorney, Immigration lawyer green card

Green card lawyer Chicago

In order to gain permanent residency in the United States, you will need a green card. With a green card, you are granted the same rights and privileges of a U.S. citizen with the exception of running for office and voting in a federal election. Please note that due to the complicated nature of the immigration process, it is best to consult a competent green card attorney.

There are several ways you can obtain a green card:

  • Sponsorship from an immediate family member
  • Qualified employer sponsorship
  • Refugee status
  • Marriage to U.S. citizen
  • The Electronic Diversity Visa Lottery, AKA “The Green Card Lottery”
  • A substantial real estate or business investment

In order to obtain your green card through any of the options listed above, you’ll first need to file an Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (Form I-485) with the USCIS. After your application is reviewed, you will go through a series of interviews—you may want to seek the assistance of a green card lawyer to prepare for your interviews.

If you are granted a green card, there are several responsibilities you must uphold. You will be expected to:

  • Obey all federal, state, and local laws
  • File your income tax returns
  • Support the U.S. democratic form of government; you will make no attempts of treason
  • Carry validation of your permanent residence status on your person
  • Have health insurance
  • Inform the Department of Homeland security of any address change within 10 days of moving

With a green card, you have the right to:

  • Live as a permanent resident in the United States
  • Be a legal employee for any business of your choosing. Restrictions do apply to some government jobs such as homeland security or any elected office position.
  • Be protected under all federal, state, and local laws
  • Obtain a driver’s license
  • Purchase a fire arm
  • Travel the United States
  • Request a visa for your spouse or unmarried children under the age of 21
  • Receive Medicare and Social Security benefits

Green Card Renewal in Chicago

Despite its classification as permanent residency, you will need to renew your green card every 10 years. If you 10-year green card is within six months of its expiration date, you will be eligible to renew it. In order to renew a 10-year green card, you must file an Application to Replace Permanent Resident card (Form I-90) either online or by mail.

It’s important to note that if you have a 2-year green card, you cannot renew it. You will have to file a petition to remove the temporary status of your green card. You may want to consult a green card attorney to improve your chances.

Contact a Green Card Lawyer in Chicago.

Without professional guidance, navigating the immigration process can be difficult and lengthy. For more information on how to obtain your green card, contact the experts at Katz Law Office, Ltd. today for a free consultation. Katz Law Office boasts an expert team of green card lawyers in Chicago and Mexico City.

CTA Free Consultation

Practice Areas