inner page header image

Chicago, IL Immigration Law Attorneys

Chicago Immigration Law Attorney

Pathways to Immigrate in DuPage County and Lake County

"Our Nation depends on immigrants' labor, and I hope we can create an immigration system as dependable as they are."
-Luis Gutierrez, U.S. Representative, Illinois

Unfortunately, the United States immigration system is not all that dependable. The immigration system remains complicated, with rules and visa quotas constantly changing. In recent years, immigration and visa laws have gotten tighter and there is far less room for forgiveness regarding immigration violations. Now, more than ever, it takes a skilled Chicago immigration law attorney to help you understand your options and what you need to do to legally live and work in this country.

View the current Visa Bulletin from the U.S. State Department to determine the wait time between filing the I-130 petition and filing for residency. The date corresponding to your country and preference level must be on or before the date which your I-130 was filed in order for you to be able to file for residency today.


The immigration and visa lawyers at Katz Law Office in Chicago are dedicated to helping people who wish to work and live in the United States. We are active not only as legal advocates but as human rights advocates as well, working hard to protect the rights of all the people in our neighborhood, including the immigrant and Spanish-speaking communities. If you are facing an immigration challenge, it is important that you get legal help in a language you can understand BEFORE making decisions that could alter your family's immigration status and result in deportation or loss of your green card. We focus our immigration practice on family visas, deportation defense, appeals, and other immigration law matters.

Contact Katz Law Firm today or call (773) 847-8982 for an initial consultation with a lawyer to discuss your immigration matter.

We will take the time to review your situation, explain your options and recommend a path to immigration or citizenship. Our immigration and visa attorneys can represent you and your family in both administrative hearings before the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and in immigration-related proceedings in the courts. We represent clients in Chicago, Cook County, and the surrounding areas.

Hablamos Español - Our bilingual immigration attorneys speak fluent Spanish and can guide you throughout the legal process in plain language that you can understand.

We can provide knowledgeable advice and effective representation regarding a variety of immigration law concerns:

Family Immigration - K Visas

Do you want to bring a family member to the United States? If you are a citizen or lawful permanent resident and meet certain requirements, you can petition for family members and relatives to immigrate to the Unites States. Immediate relatives such as husbands, wives, and unmarried children under age 21 will not have to wait for an immigrant visa number. If you would like to bring your spouse, children, or other relatives to the United States, we can explain the requirements and help you through the family immigration process. If you want to bring a fiancé or fiancée to the United States, we can help you obtain a fiancé K-1 visa and adjust your new spouse's status to permanent residence after the wedding.

Non-Immigrant Visas

Do you need help getting an immigration visa? Our visa lawyers know how to navigate the complicated immigration system and can help you obtain H-1B and H-2B visas and many other visas: We are experienced handling visa applications involving temporary business visas, student visas, work visas, and other temporary visas.

Lawful Permanent Residence - Green Cards

Do you wonder how to get a green card? A green card will give you official immigration status as a lawful permanent resident. The immigration attorneys at Katz Law Firm can determine whether you are eligible for a green card, and explain how you can get a green card and become a lawful permanent resident.

Work Permits - Employment Authorizations

Do you want to legally work in the country and you are not a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident? You need to obtain permission to legally work in the United States. Our immigration lawyers can help you obtain or renew a work permit, which is called an Employment Authorization Document.

Employment Immigration - EB Visas

Do you have an offer of permanent employment in the U.S.? One path to becoming a lawful permanent resident of the United States is permanent employment. Our attorneys can help you with EB immigration visas and employment immigration concerns. We can also assist employers who wish to hire foreign workers file labor certification (PERM) requests and petitions for non-documented workers, sponsor foreign workers, and complete all other steps necessary to legally hire foreign workers.

Citizenship by Naturalization

If you want to become a U.S. citizen, our immigration lawyers can explain the naturalization process, prepare your application for citizenship, and advise you about how to prepare you for the required citizenship testing.

Political Asylum

Asylum can be granted to a person outside of his or her country of nationality who is unable or unwilling to return because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinions. Our attorneys can help you file an Application for Asylum and Withholding of Removal and represent you in all proceedings regarding your request for asylum.

Deportation - Removal Defense - Waivers

Non-citizens can be deported if they violate United States immigration or criminal laws. If you have received a Notice to Appear from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (US ICE), contact our immigration lawyers to discuss how we can defend you and challenge your removal. If you have been charged with a crime such as DUI, a conviction will affect your immigration status. Our experienced criminal defense attorneys will aggressively defend you in criminal court.

United States immigration laws place a requirement that individuals deported (removed) from the country, or with a year or more of unlawful presence in the U.S., must remain outside of the United States for ten years. We frequently negotiate or petition for hardship waivers or other waivers to keep our clients from being deported. If successful, our client can bypass the requirement and remain within the United States. Learn more about immigration arrests and immigration crimes.

Immigration Appeals and Motions to Re-open

Your immigration case is never "over". We provide clients with smart legal advice throughout the case, including through appeals and requests to re-open the case when government power has been abused or immigration officers and judges have srongly applied the law. We pursue I-601 waivers on behalf of spouses or parents of immigrants, arguing severe hardshipto a relative.

Contact our Chicago immigration visa lawyer today to take advantage of an initial consultation regarding your immigration matter. The Katz Law Office is conveniently located on Cermak Road at Western Avenue, just 2 blocks south of the Western Avenue CTA Pink Line "El" stop.

Hablamos Español - Our Chicago lawyers speak fluent Spanish and can guide you throughout the legal process in plain language that you can understand.

CTA Free Consultation

Practice Areas